REPLACEMENT OF MEA-TRIAZINE AT AN EAGLE FORD COLLECTION TERMINAL USING NON-AMINE H2S SCAVENGER PRO3.
Additive Direct Services and Q2 Technologies; a former subsidiary of Quaker Chemical which developed the MEA-Triazine scavengers used world-wide today, have brought to the market the Pro-3 series of non-amine H2S scavengers. The Pro-3 series is the next generation of scavengers replacing MEA-Triazine in liquid hydrocarbon streams.
The Pro-3 series is the result of a need to reduce fouling created by amine based scavengers in refineries, production streams and crude oil terminals while improving H2S removal performance compared to that of MEA-Triazine.
• Two 100,000 barrel inland collection crude oil storage tanks were being injected with up to 500 GPD of 40% MEA-Triazine.
• Approximately 150 trucks unloaded daily at the terminal with H2S levels ranging from 30 ppmv to 25,000 ppmv.
• A high level of H2S in collection tanks was still observed after triazine injection and required the customer to have expensive independent H2S monitoring done followed up with additional treatment and delays.
• Pro-3 was recommended to substitute 40% MEA-Triazine scavenger and to reduce chemical cost and logistics.
• An injection system consisting of a single 6,000 gallon ISO tank with automated pumps replaced a system of 5 individual tote tanks being used to inject 40% MEA-Triazine.
Storage Tank H2S level using MEA-Triazine: >10 ppmv
Storage Tank H2S level using Pro-3: <1 ppmv
• Approximately 3 million barrels of EFL/EFR/WTI are treated monthly with the Pro-3 series.
• Chemical consumption was cut by 80% compared to the 40% MEA-triazine resulting in:
• Deliveries cut by 75% translating into increased personnel productivity
• $35,000 per month reduction in chemical cost *will vary on application requirements
• The need for H2S monitoring personnel was eliminated resulting in additional savings. Spot checks and daily electronic monitoring are now sufficient to maintain a safe environment.
• On-site bulk storage of chemical resulted in reduced logistics and freight costs.
• >$35k per month chemical savings
• Deliveries cut by 75%
• Chemical use cut by 80%