Q2 Technologies has brought to market the Pro3® Nano, a novel nanoparticle non-triazine H2S scavenger. Pro3® Nano removes H2S from gas streams and converts it into non-hazardous elemental sulfur. When combined with the SulfurCycle process, Pro3® Nano is regenerable allowing the reagent to be used multiple times resulting in much lower operating costs compared to triazine scavengers. With a larger operating range and lower cost than SULFATREAT, Pro3® Nano combined with SulfurCycle add value to reserves by allowing operators to produce otherwise uneconomical wells.
- An oil well in Southwest Wyoming coproduces sour gas and water. In order to economically produce the oil, a robust strategy for sour gas treatment was needed.
- The coproduced sour gas comprises 80% CO₂, 5,300ppm H2S and a balance of nitrogen, not dissimilar to amine plant off-gas. The high concentration of carbon dioxide greatly constrains caustic or amine-based technologies.
- Hot wet gas produced from the well proved difficult to sweeten with SULFATREAT due to condensation affecting the capacity and efficiency of the SULFATREAT material.
- With no market value for the gas and high lifting costs, it was necessary to reduce sour gas treatment costs to profitably produce the associated oil.
- Pro3® Nano replaced SULFATREAT without any ill effects from the wet acid gas, thereby reducing the cost of treatment per pound of sulfur by as much as 10X.
- Being an aqueous process, Pro3® Nano and SulfurCycle were not affected by the water saturated gas, and required no conditioning other than standard three phase separation.
- Pro3® Nano aggressively and specifically treats the 5,300ppm H2S with high scrubbing efficiency (>99.9%) and excellent regeneration capacity, reusing the reagent >10X.
- SULFATREAT required more frequent change-outs than expected, incurring high labor and material costs.
- After 3 months of initial production, SulfurCycle achieved >98% availability and 100% reliability.
- With Pro3® Nano and SulfurCycle, oil sales are profitable with less than 10% of oil revenues spent on sour gas treatment while SULFATREAT was economically unsustainable.
- Pro3® Nano and SulfurCycle regeneration process allowed production of oil that otherwise would be shut in and stranded.Chemical use cut by 80%.
- SulfurCycle and Pro3® Nano can specifically treat H2S in a wet acidic gas stream with no loss in efficiency or capacity.
Related Case Studies
Natural Gas - Triazine
Natural Gas Processing Plant H2S Optimization Program
- Run times per chemical change-out increased by 35% by using Triazine.
Natural Gas - Pro3® Nano
Replacement of Triazine with Pro3® Nano
- Pro3® Nano replaced Triazine reducing the cost of treatment and
allowed treatment of more sour gas which could not be sweetened with Triazine, thereby increasing production and margins.
Natural Gas - Triazine
Natural Gas Treatment
- By using triazine, no solids were generated and only half the amount of Triazine was needed for treatment. compared to Sulfa-Check.