BACKGROUNDThe following application concerns the removal of H2S from a water saturated CO₂ gas stream that was produced from an alkanolamine sweetener.
A natural gas plant located in the northwestern New Mexico, removes acid gas with alkanolamine absorption and regeneration. The resulting acid gas rejected in the regenerator vent contains over 99% CO₂ and as much as 150 ppm H2S. Reducing the H2S concentration to 10 ppm or less permits the gas to be discharged to the atmosphere.
- Gas Flow Rate 5 MMScfd
- Gas Composition 99 + %CO₂
- Pressure 17-21 psig
- Incoming H2S 150 ppm
- Outgoing H2S 0-7 ppm
- 0.035 to 0.040 gallons per ppm H2S per million Scf. 2.11 to 2.41 lbs. sulfur per gallon of product.
- Specially formulated Triazine is injected via an atomizer into a horizontal line just ahead of a static mixer in the rich amine feed to the regenerator. Before the CO₂ reaches the contact tower, the H2S concentration drops from 150 ppm to 40 ppm. The remaining H2S is removed in the regenerator.
- The contact tower is on liquid level control.
- The 10 ppm permit H2S level is easily achieved and
the air discharged into the atmosphere.
- The spent Triazine is disposed of in permitted disposal wells.
This continuous system has produced substantial economic benefits for the customer.
- H2S level reduced so that air can be discharged into atmosphere using Triazine.
Related Case Studies
Crude Oil & Liquids - Pro3® HT
High-Temp H2S removal in Lab & Field Trials
- Effective at low H2S levels even with >1% BS&W.
- Quick reaction time.
- Remains effective at high temperatures.
- No evidence of sulfide scaling.
Crude Oil & Liquids - Pro3®
H2S Removal in Crude from Marine Tankers
- $10K per month chemical savings by using Pro3®
- Deliveries cut by 50%
- Millions of barrels treated and hundreds of tankers and barges in spec.
Crude Oil & Liquids - Pro3® and ProM®
Leading Midstream Treats H₂S & Mercaptans
- Pro3® and ProM® chemistries allowed customer to consistently meet H2S and Mercaptan specifications that 3rd party chemistry was unable to reach.
- Overall cost of treatment was reduced by >25%.