Q2 Technologies, a former subsidiary of Quaker Chemical which developed the MEA-Triazine scavengers used world-wide today, has brought the next iteration to its established Pro3® series of non-amine/non-triazine H2S & mercaptan, Pro3® HT, an oil soluble scavenger capable of withstanding high operating temperatures.
In an established producing zone along the shelf in the Gulf of Mexico, a mid-30 API sour crude and gas with low BS&W had long desired an alternative to traditional scavengers. Systematically tested Pro3® HT against several other products in the lab prior to field trial. Lab results proved and established what the field trial ultimately would corroborate: Pro3® HT showed expansive outcomes resulting in ~50% better reduction of H2S than triazine and was still effective when exposed to >350ºF/178ºC.
- Tasked with quickly removing H2S to <1ppm/v by using less chemicals than current usage.
- Utilize existing equipment in fully operating facility.
- Identifying where in the infrastructure configuration was the best fit: Multiple separators and contactors.
- Significant levels of H2S even after mechanical agitation along the continuum: 30,000 – 40,000 ppm or 3-4% H2S present at the oil contactor.
- As the initial lab findings indicated, the same was true in the field: Pro3® HT was the superior product in reacting against H2S versus traditional triazine- and alkylamine condensate-based products.
- Compared to the other products at trial, even at lower gpd rates, Pro3® HT was significantly below the others.
- Post-treatment H2S level: <10 ppm.
- Pro3® HT is effective at low H2S
levels even with >1% BS&W.
- Quick reaction time (< 5 min).
- Remains effective at high temperatures >350ºF/178ºC.
- Long-term test location (3+ years of treatment) shows no evidence of sulfide scaling.
- Pro3® HT reactive metal-base compound is a fast- acting, oil-soluble H2S scavenger proven both in the laboratory and the field.
Related Case Studies
Crude Oil & Liquids - Pro3®
H2S Removal in Crude from Marine Tankers
- $10K per month chemical savings by using Pro3®
- Deliveries cut by 50%
- Millions of barrels treated and hundreds of tankers and barges in spec.
Crude Oil & Liquids - Triazine
Amine Treater Regenerator Vent Scrubber
- H2S level reduced so that air can be discharged into atmosphere using Triazine.
-This continuous system has produced substantial economic benefits for the customer.
Crude Oil & Liquids - ProM®
Mercaptan Reduction in Condensate Splitter Feedstock
- ProM® Chemistry allowed customer to meet mercaptan specifications that MEA-Triazine was unable to reach.