Q2 Technologies, a former subsidiary of Quaker Chemical which developed the MEA-Triazine scavengers used world-wide today, along with its Gulf Coast region distributor, Additive Direct Services have brought to market the Pro3® series of non-amine/non-triazine H2S scavengers. The Pro3® series is the next generation of scavengers replacing MEA-Triazine in liquid hydrocarbon streams. The Pro3® series is the result of a need to reduce fouling/corrosion created by amine based scavengers in refineries, production streams and crude oil terminals while improving H₂S removal performance.
- Demurrage fees and interruptions of crude oil loading into barges and tankers at terminals are frequent when H2S levels exceed 10 ppmv.
- High volumes of MEA-Triazine were necessary to reach the required H2S specification of <10 ppmv and scavenger injection pumps struggled to keep up with
pipeline flowrates of up to 20,000 barrels per hour into barges and tankers at the terminal.
- Condensate and crude treated with MEA-Triazine were observed to cause fouling and corrosion in neighboring splitters and refining units.
- High level of H2S in some storage tanks required the terminal to have expensive independent H2S monitoring done.
- Pro3® was recommended to replace the 40% MEA-Triazine scavenger to reduce chemical treatment cost, logistics, and fouling problems in splitters and refining units.
- A dual pump on-site injection system and chemical bulk storage with 24/7 support staff allowed for treatment of large volumes of crude oil on demand.
- Pre-treatment H₂S level: 10 ppm – 800 ppm determined by ASTM D-5705 (3rd party inspection lab measurements of > 100 vessels).
- Post-treatment H₂S level: <10 ppm
Loaded Volumes: 30,000-650,000 barrels
- Approximately 3 million barrels of EFL/EFR/WTI are
treated monthly with the Pro3® series.
- Chemical consumption was cut by 50% compared to 40% MEA-triazine resulting in:
– Deliveries cut by 50% translating into
increased productivity personnel.
– $10,000 per month reduction in chemical cost.
*Will vary on application requirements.
– Injection system keeping up with terminal pipeline flowrates.
- Potential demurrage fees ranging from $4,000 – $52,000 per
day from out of specification H₂S levels were eliminated.
- At one terminal site eleven H₂S monitoring personnel were
eliminated, resulting in substantial monthly savings.
- >$10k per month chemical savings.
- Deliveries cut by 50%.
Related Case Studies
Crude Oil & Liquids - Pro3®
H2S Removal in Crude Oil Truck Terminal
- $35K per month chemical savings using Pro3®
- Deliveries cut by 75%
- Chemical use cut by 80%.
Crude Oil & Liquids - Pro3® and ProM®
Leading Midstream Treats H₂S & Mercaptans
- Pro3® and ProM® chemistries allowed customer to consistently meet H2S and Mercaptan specifications that 3rd party chemistry was unable to reach.
- Overall cost of treatment was reduced by >25%.
Crude Oil & Liquids - Triazine
Amine Treater Regenerator Vent Scrubber
- H2S level reduced so that air can be discharged into atmosphere using Triazine.
-This continuous system has produced substantial economic benefits for the customer.